The results of the council’s library review is even worse than we feared. Library staff were informed yesterday that 14 out of Doncaster’s 26 libraries are to close:
Bawtry, Bessacarr, Cantley, Carcroft, Conisbrough, Denaby, Edenthorpe, Intake, Moorends, Rossington, Scawthorpe, Sprotbrough, Warmsworth and Wheatley.
Many of these libraries are a long distance from the remaining branches, as you can see on the Googlemap below. There are also very poor public transport links between some of the areas, making it difficult for people without cars to get to alternative branches.(Note: You’ll need to zoom in to see)
The council has proposed to adapt its mobile libraries to meet the needs of the communites left without a library. This is insufficient and not a like alternative, in terms of accessibility, convenience and ability to meet the information needs of Doncaster citizens. Furthermore, it would cost the council hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy additional mobile services.
Closure of branch libraries is not the only aspect of the council’s plans for libraries that Save Doncaster Libraries are deeply concerned about, but the closure of this many branches with so little thought and such poor rationale behind the closures is a major issue and is a massive barrier to library access.
The council is meeting on 12 January to “discuss” the proposals. It is vital that we loudly challenge the destructive, poorly thought-out and counter-productive plans.
If you live in Doncaster and will be affected by the closures, or even just think they’re a bad idea, there are lots of things you can do:
- Sign the e-petition
- Get people to sign a paper petition. We need 10,000 signatures in order to force the council to schedule a public debate. We can post forms out to you so that you can circulate them and put them in local shops, community centres etc.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how the cuts will affect you
- Join us at Doncaster Central Library on 29th January at 1pm-3pm
- Let your councillors know what is happening and that you aren’t happy with it
- Contact your MP to say the same
- Write to the Doncaster Free Press at email@example.com